- Marinade your choice of meat (we barbecued lamb and chicken) fish or veggies.
- Store remaining sauce in fridge for up to a week.
Homemade Hoisin Sauce
Serves enough to cover 8 pieces of meat, fish or veggies
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (we prefer a gluten-free dark soy)
- 2 tablespoons smooth Pic’s Peanut Butter (we prefer no salt to counter the soy)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar – anyone who tries it with dates let us know
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 garlic clove and a decent chunk of fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 teaspoons Pic’s Pure Peanut Oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon minced red chilli
- Black Pepper to taste.
You all know that Pic’s isn’t just an amazing addition to warm grainy toast in the morning. But even we didn’t realize that Hoisin Sauce contains peanut butter. We discovered this recently and decided as it’s always BBQ season somewhere, nothing beats a sticky marinade, on just about anything, grilled over hot coals. Or take it inside and grill in the oven. So we had a play and created this recipe, which ticks the sticky and bloody-tasty box.