- Preheat the oven to 170°C.Season the ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large oven proof pan or roasting tray on the hob with the peanut oil. Brown the ribs for 5-10 minutes on both sides until they are golden brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, fennel seeds, star anise and honey and continue to cook for 2 minutes until the honey begins to caramelise. Add the soy sauce, sweet soy, lime juice & mirin, bring to the boil, simmering for 1 minute. Taste and adjust the flavours, adding more lime juice if necessary. Add the spring onions and stock and bring to the boil.
- Place the roasting dish in the oven and cook for 40 minutes, turn the ribs, then cook for 40 more minutes or until the ribs are tender.
Pic’s spicy peanut relish:
- Remove the pan from the oven and place back on the hob. Heat the marinade and reduce for 8-10 minutes, glazing the ribs until the sauce is thick and syrupy. Turn the ribs in the sauce to ensure they’re fully coated. Serve with Pic’s spicy peanut relish on the side. (Recipe follows.)
- In a mortar & pestle make a paste by gradually pounding the red curry paste, garlic, peanut butter & shrimp paste until smooth.
- Add the palm sugar, tamarind paste & fish sauce: it should taste salty, hot, sour & sweet.
- Heat the Pic’s peanut oil in a pan, add the paste & fry gently over a low heat for about 10 or until lightly golden & fragrant.