- In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the milk, stir and leave to sit for a few minutes.
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook attached, place all the dry ingredients in and on low speed, mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk then add to the stand mixer, increase the speed and continue to knead until a sticky dough forms.
- Slowly add the butter, a few cubes at a time until each is well incorporated before adding more.
- Continue to knead for 10 minutes or until you are able to stretch the dough without it tearing immediately. If not, continue to knead in the stand mixer for a little longer. If you find the dough is still a little sticky, add a tbsp. of flour.
- Set aside the bowl of dough and cover with a damp tea towel in a warm place and allow the dough to double in size – approx. 2 hours.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured work surface until it ¾ inch thick. Allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- Using a round cookie cutter, approx. 3 inches in diameter, cut circles out of the dough and set aside on a tray lined with baking paper. Allow the dough to proof again for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil to medium-high. You will know it is hot enough when a wooden spoon bubbles when dipped into the oil.
- Carefully place the donuts into the oil and cook for 2 minutes each side. Remove from the pan onto absorbent paper towels.
- Once cooled, toss the donuts one at a time with the icing sugar in a medium-size bowl.
- Using a chopstick, poke a hole in each donut and widen the cavity with your finger.
- Fill one piping bag with the mascarpone and one with Pics Fruit Spread.
- Fill each cavity with a little mascarpone followed by the Fruit Spread.
- Serve and eat immediately.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 2.8 ounces of butter, in small cubes
- 80ml whole milk, lukewarm
- 2 cups of oil (canola, rice bran or coconut)
Ingredients for filling
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup of Pics Boysenberry Jelly
- ¾ cup of Mascarpone