What on earth are Dan Dan Noodles? I asked the same question when watching Donal Skehan’s YouTube video showing the Chinese dish.
Dan Dan Noodles are made up of a few components; noodles served with a spicy broth, spicy ground meat, as well as Asian greens and spring onions.
Donal’s version looked very tasty, but maybe out of my reach as I was lacking some traditional Chinese ingredients. Instead, I decided to create an untraditional variation using whole food, plant-based ingredients. Despite being untraditional this dish is jam-packed full of flavour.
This recipe is the last of 3 recipes in collaboration with Pic’s Peanut Butter. Their legendary peanut butter, using high quality Australian peanuts only combines 1 to 2 ingredients, peanuts and/or salt. After tasting Pic’s Peanut Butter you’ll seriously never try anything else again.
- In a fry pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Crumble tofu with your fingers into the pan.
- Add maple syrup, tamari, curry powder, all spice, chilli flakes and stir.
- Allow tofu to fry until golden.
- Meanwhile add peanut broth ingredients to a small saucepan.
- Whisk broth and allow to cook until hot, slightly thickened and fragrant.
- In a large saucepan, fill halfway with water and bring to the boil.
- Once boiled add noodles and cook according to packet instructions.
- Midway through cooking, add bok choy to lightly wilt.
- Once cooked drain liquid and divide noodles and bok choy between two bowls.
- Pour over peanut broth and top with Spicy Tofu Mince.
- Garnish with spring onion, coriander and a wedge of lime.
Love Alex, Ballerina Bites. Xx
PS: Be sure to tag me @ballerina_bites on Instagram so I can see your recreations!